So what exactly makes up an Athlete of the Month? It’s not that this person is able to Rx every workout, lift the most weight or do every movement with perfect form. What makes an Athlete of the Month is that every time they come to the box, they try their hardest, give the workout their all, and then some. They go above and beyond by spending extra time to work on specific skills, are welcoming of others and encourage other athletes to do their best, too. They really embody what CrossFit is all about and work to make CrossFit Frankfort the community and family that it is. Each month we will choose a different Athlete and post some fun facts about them to help you get to know them better.
We’re excited to announce Darlene Thomas as our August 2016 Athlete of the Month! Darlene may have only been with us a short time, but there is no doubting her work ethic! We love how she comes in and attacks every WOD and loves the daily challenge they pose. She also does amazing work outside the box with Greenhouse17. She’s just an inspiration to others on so many levels and we’re honored to have her as our August 2016 Athlete of the Month!
1. Where did you grow up?
2. Where did you go to high school/college?
Eminence Independent, Brescia University and U of L.
3. Where do you currently live?
Downtown Frankfort, love it!!
4. Where do you work/what do you do?
I am the ED for GreenHouse17 serving Central Kentucky. I am an advocate for survivors (and their families) of intimate partner violence.
5. What is your athletic background?
High School and College Basketball–long, long time ago!!
6. How did you get started with CrossFit?
My good friend Tracy told me she thought I would love CrossFit and she was right!
7. How long have you been at CrossFit Frankfort?
8. What are your favorite exercises/WODs?
Box Jumps, wall balls, squats, kettlebells, (probably because I feel pretty competent). However, I love that everyday is a challenge!!
9. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Not a fan of running and could live without Burpee’s!!
10. What is your favorite WOD song?
Are you kidding, is there really music playing? Seems the only thing I hear is me telling myself to keep going, it will be over soon!!!
11.. What is your biggest achievement in CrossFit?
It was a huge shocker the day I did a pull-up, I smiled for days!! Then I finally managed to RX a couple of WOD’s recently and even made the leaderboard!!
12. What are your goals with regards to CrossFit
Determined to get those double-unders consistently, string together more than 2 pull-ups, figure out how to get up that rope! Still lobbying to have knots in one of the ropes–to no avail!!
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit Frankfort?
I selected CFF because I liked what the website had to say in comparison to others I researched. I stay at CFF because Billie and Jason have built an environment of integrity, care, and support. I value the knowledgeable coaches, the members who are all genuinely caring and encouraging, and the emphasis on family, faith, children and community!
14. What is your favorite food/snack?
Sweet Potato Fries
15. What is your favorite movie?
Schindler’s List, The Sound of Music
16. If you could have any vehicle, what would it be?
2012 Orange and Black Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic Screaming Eagle.
17. Do you have a favorite place to travel or a favorite place you’ve been?
My favorite place on the planet is Hanover Beach.
18. If you were going to a deserted island and could only take one person (real or fictional) and one album, who/what would they be?
My dearest friend Lisa cause together there is never a dull moment, however, as lovers of music we would require 120 GB IPod full of music!! My husband would completely agree with me!!
19. What hobbies do you enjoy outside of CrossFit
Guitar, water skiing, reading
20. Who is or has been your biggest role model or inspiration?
I am blessed to be surrounded by people who inspire me everyday but my greatest inspiration was my mother.
21. In an ideal world, where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Retired, traveling, and taking long motorcycle trips experiencing the world with the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth!!
22. What is your local favorite place to go?
The grounds of the Capitol and Gibby’s.
23. What is something interesting about you we would be surprised to know?
I was a ballet dancer.
24. What is your favorite quote or words to live by?
I ask my son most everyday ” What have you done to make the world a better place today?” Those are words and actions we try to live by. Two of my favorite quotes are “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why”-Mark Twain and “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity”-Amelia Earhart