So what exactly makes up an Athlete of the Month? It’s not that this person is able to Rx every workout, lift the most weight or do every movement with perfect form. What makes an Athlete of the Month is that every time they come to the box, they try their hardest, give the workout their all, and then some. They go above and beyond by spending extra time to work on specific skills, are welcoming of others and encourage other athletes to do their best, too. They really embody what CrossFit is all about and work to make CrossFit Frankfort the community and family that it is. Each month we will choose a different Athlete and post some fun facts about them to help you get to know them better.
We’re excited to announce Lauren Moore as our September 2016 Athlete of the Month! You will find Lauren at the box just about any day of the week depending on her family’s schedule. While she’s typically at the 1730 WOD and Saturday am, you can sometimes find her at Open Gym on Sunday’s as well. While Lauren may not be the strongest athlete in the box, she is so determined, is coachable, and not afraid to scale her WODs which has lead to great gains for her. She’s not only a great athlete, but also wonderful person and example to their girls! We’re not only proud to have her as a member of CFF, but to honor her as our September 2016 Athlete of the Month!
1. Where did you grow up?
2. Where did you go to high school/college?
I attended high school at James A. Cawood High School and college at the University of Kentucky.
3. Where do you currently live?
4. Where do you work/what do you do?
I am the Director of Finance and Personnel for the Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development.
5. What is your athletic background?
I was a cheerleader and ran track in high school. I wish CrossFit had been around back then!
6. How did you get started with CrossFit?
Bryan Hix invited Zach an I to the Memorial Day WOD in 2014. It was tough, but I loved it!
7. How long have you been at CrossFit Frankfort?
It’s been 2 1/2 years…time flies! I love being able to workout with Zach; and now our daughters, Claire and Emme love CF too.
8. What are your favorite exercises/WODs?
I really like WODs with lots of cardio and I love double unders.
9. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Probably have to say thrusters.
10. What is your favorite WOD song?
Thunderstruck…I don’t even mind the burpees.
11. What is your biggest achievement in CrossFit?
Finally being able to do pull-ups. It took me forever and I still can’t string together very many, but at least I can do them! I was also happy to get my first HSPUs.
12. What are your goals with regards to CrossFit
I would like to improve my weightlifting.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit Frankfort?
Definitely the people, both coaches and members, and the community environment!
14. What is your favorite food/snack?
Spaghetti and meatballs.
15. What is your favorite movie?
16. If you could have any vehicle, what would it be?
17. Do you have a favorite place to travel or a favorite place you’ve been?
Hilton Head Island
18. If you were going to a deserted island and could only take one person (real or fictional) and one album, who/what would they be?
I would take my husband, Zach (sorry Claire & Emme) and Chris Isaak baja sessions or a good 80’s mix.
19. What hobbies do you enjoy outside of CrossFit?
Renovating houses (or really just picking out the stuff to go in the houses!), traveling and watching the girls in all of their activities.
20. Who is or has been your biggest role model or inspiration?
My mother is a wonderful role model. When my father died at the young age of 42, she put all of her energy into taking care of me and my two sisters. She is always thinking of others, has always been my biggest supporter and goes above and beyond to help me and my family with anything we need.
21. In an ideal world, where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Wow…in 10 years Claire will (hopefully) be four years into college and Emme will be heading into her first year. I hope to be self-employed, traveling, and spending lots of time with my family. And still doing CrossFit!
22. What is your local favorite place to go?
Besides CrossFit Frankfort? I love hanging out at home with lots of family and friends.
23. What is something interesting about you we would be surprised to know?
I (think I) can fix anything around the house by looking it up on the internet!
24. What is your favorite quote or words to live by?
I have a few…1. “As long as you know God is for you, it doesn’t matter who is against you.” Romans 8:31 2) If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down. 3) In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. (Einstein)