So what exactly makes up an Athlete of the Month? It’s not that this person is able to Rx every workout, lift the most weight or do every movement with perfect form. What makes an Athlete of the Month is that every time they come to the box, they try their hardest, give the workout their all, and then some. They go above and beyond by spending extra time to work on specific skills, are welcoming of others and encourage other athletes to do their best, too. They really embody what CrossFit is all about and work to make CrossFit Frankfort the community and family that it is. Each month we will choose a different Athlete and post some fun facts about them to help you get to know them better.
We’re excited to announce Ryan Asher as our January 2017 Athlete of the Month! Ryan started last year under our New Year special and has made nothing but progress since! What made his progress possible is being committed to getting the workouts in consistently. He’s part of the early morning crew or Saturday morning and is pushing himself each time he walks in the door. As a principle and coach, he’s an inspiration in and out of the box. We’re excited to honor his as our January 2017 Athlete of the Month so enjoy getting to know him better through his interview below!
1. Where did you grow up?
2. Where did you go to high school/college?
Bowsher High School, Ohio University
3. Where do you currently live?
4. Where do you work/what do you do?
Principal at Northside Elementary in Woodford Co.
5. What is your athletic background?
I played football and basketball through high school.
6. How did you get started with CrossFit?
I wanted to try something different to help me stay in shape. I got bored with running.
7. How long have you been at CrossFit Frankfort?
A year at the end of December.
8. What are your favorite exercises/WODs?
Bar and kettle bell work and box jumps
9. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
DUs and rope climbs.
10. What is your favorite WOD song?
I liked that tabata song played the other day, much better than watching the clock.
11. What is your biggest achievement in CrossFit?
Pull ups and DUs..sort of.
12. What are your goals with regards to CrossFit?
Just getting 3 workouts in a week.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit Frankfort?
The challenge. The coaches are really helpful too.
14. What is your favorite food/snack?
Veggie chips…although not real healthy when you eat the whole bag.
15. What is your favorite movie?
Gangs of New York and all Star Wars movies.
16. If you could have any vehicle, what would it be?
Pretty happy with my current one…Chevy Suburban.
17. Do you have a favorite place to travel or a favorite place you’ve been?
US Virgin Islands. Went before kids…would love to go back.
18. If you were going to a deserted island and could only take one person (real or fictional) and one album, who/what would they be?
My wife, Jen, and a Bob Marley album.
19. What hobbies do you enjoy outside of CrossFit?
Family time, travel, sports.
20. Who is or has been your biggest role model or inspiration?
21. In an ideal world, where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Still working in education and watching my kids grow into young adults.
22. What is your local favorite place to go?
Rupp Arena to watch the Cats.
23. What is something interesting about you we would be surprised to know?
I am the first and only in my family to get a college degree.
24. What is your favorite quote or words to live by?
“…life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.”